Posts on Happily Homegrown contain affiliate links. When you make a purchase through an affiliate link, your price will be the same, but Happily Homegrown will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!
UPDATE: A year ago today, I wrote this post as I was looking forward to the last year in my 30s. It was a great year, with a lot of ups and downs. There are still a few things on my list that I didn’t get to do over the last year, but that’s ok. I pushed myself to enjoy life more over the last year and can’t wait to see what my 40s will bring.
This week, I will be turning 39. While some friends dread their birthdays, I am looking forward to celebrating at various times over the next few weeks. I’ve reached an age where I want peoples’ presence more than actual presents.
I decided instead of just turning 39 and having 40 looming in the shadows, I’m ready to embrace this next chapter and celebrate it and all that I have accomplished in my life so far and everything I still have to look forward to. Forty is just a number. That said, there are 30 things I still want to do before turning 40 and enter into a new decade. While some may seem silly or superficial, I’m hoping it turns into a year full of wonderful memories, new skills, and fun experiences.
30 Things I Want to Do Before Turning 40
- Visit an art museum √
- Go deep sea fishing with my brothers
- See the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center
- Finish the tattoo on my shoulder
- Learn how to debone a chicken √
- Complete a 5K
- Practice Yoga with my children √
- Go Whale Watching √
- Family trip to a zoo that has elephants √
- Teach a homesteading class √
- Take my children to the theater √
- Go with my mom on a wine tasting tour
- Host the Feast of 7 Fishes on Christmas Eve
- Visit the Cathedral of St Patrick
- Visit the Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter & Paul
- Family Trip to the Baltimore Aquarium
- Watch the sunrise at the beach √
- Learn how to make soap √
- Forage for bayberries to make my own wax
- Teach a blogging class √
- Shoot craps (I haven’t gone at all in the last 9 years)
- Take an archery lesson √
- Go ice skating
- Take time to write √
- Learn to make Feta cheese √
- Sew a piece of clothing √
- Take a trip with only my husband (it’s scheduled for Oct) √
- Take a trip with only my mother √
- Date days with each of my children separately √
- Make a conscious effort to find the beauty in every day √
Love this idea! I’m so busy now, but when the last child is “launched” out of the nest, what then?
I need to make this list for this year and future and start on an idea board ( that would be great for me, because I’m such a visual person!).
I already know I want to start writing this year. And I’ll take your blogging class!
That sounds like a wonderful idea Kelly! And I’d love to have you in my class <3
Mother of 3
Such a great list and I love that you were able to complete so many of them. I am famous for making lists and not following through…
Thanks! I tend to have incomplete lists as well, but at least this time I can continue on into my 40th year.