Posts on Happily Homegrown contain affiliate links. When you make a purchase through an affiliate link, your price will be the same, but Happily Homegrown will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!
Day 19: Counter Tops
When I wake up in the morning, and go into my kitchen to make my first cup of tea, I have this sense of peace seeing clean and clear counter tops, and an empty sink. Most days, I don’t get to have that sense of peace because the kitchen gets so cluttered that it actually makes me angry and frustrated to be in there. So, for tomorrow’s challenge, Day 19, we are going to declutter our counter tops.
5 Tips for Decluttering Counter Tops
- Put stuff away! That may sound too easy, but its true. Put away the items you pulled out while you were cooking. Put away the dish cloth and pot holder that were left out. Put away the glass that was left next to the sink (if its dirty, then away means into the dishwasher). Put away the mail instead of leaving it out. Put it all away!
- Find a home for the items that take up the most real estate in your kitchen, but are used infrequently. If you use your blender every day, keep it out. If you rarely use it, put it somewhere else – possibly in a cabinet or on a shelf in a closet. If you never use the item, then its time to part with it, and it should go into your donate or sell bin.
- Group items that go together. For example, your cooking utensils and knives could be stored near each other, freeing up part of your counter for meal prep.
- Clean your counters and the items that are left on them. If there are too many items to clean, repeat steps 1 and 2 so that you can eliminate clutter or relocate the things you need to where they will serve you better.
- Each night, after dinner, take a few moments to put everything away and give your counters a quick wipe down. Soon this will become your after dinner habit, or possibly after every meal habit, resulting in a neat and tidy kitchen at all times.
Set your timer, and give yourself 10 minutes to work on decluttering your counters and living more simply with less clutter taking over your life and your home.
[…] off the flat surfaces – counters & the […]