Posts on Happily Homegrown contain affiliate links. When you make a purchase through an affiliate link, your price will be the same, but Happily Homegrown will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!
After vacation, its really hard to get back in the swing of things. I find it even more challenging now as a stay-at-home mom because the reality is I just want to veg out on the couch a little bit longer and still not do anything and extend that vacation time as long as possible. But, with three kids and a husband who rely on me to keep our household running smoothly, that just isn’t possible. Here are my tricks for making the transition after vacation a smooth(er) one.
5 Things to Do Before Leaving on Vacation
- Make your bed with fresh linens. Having your bed made before you return from your trip will allow you to come home and crash right away without having to do anything else first.
- Empty your refrigerator. Make sure anything that could go bad while you are away is either discarded or given to friends. The funk that can permeate a fridge, and then your home, because of spoiled food is extremely offensive and doesn’t dissipate quickly.
- Schedule a grocery delivery. With so many wonderful services that will deliver fresh groceries to your door you have a lot of options. We really like FreshDirect, and if you sign up now you can get $100 in free groceries! Schedule your grocery delivery for the morning after you arrive home, and you won’t have to worry about hitting the store.
- Tidy the house. This doesn’t mean deep clean, but do make sure that the bathroom is wiped down, the kitchen sink is empty, and pick up any major clutter in your living room and entry way. You were just on vacation, you want to come home to a house that welcomes you and doesn’t make you want to run away!
- The very last thing you do, just before you lock up the house, should be to take out all of the trash. Grab the bags from every room, and get them out of the house. Particularly if you have bathroom trash cans, a diaper pail, and the trash in the kitchen.
5 Things to Do Once You Get Home
- Unload the car right away, don’t put it off for tomorrow because you know you won’t want to deal with it then either.
- Throw all of your dirty laundry from vacation into the washing machine, and start the first load.
- Take a shower before bed to relax and unwind. No matter where I have traveled, I always appreciate my shower at home (and the really good water pressure) once I get home.
- Go to bed at a respectable hour (whatever that means for you), and wake up at your normal time even if you have off the next day. Getting back into a routine takes a little time, but waking up at your usual time is a great way to start.
- Unpack and put everything away. Don’t live out of your suitcase for the next week. Don’t leave your toiletries in your luggage. Put everything in its place, and so that life can return to normal.
Since today is my first day back to reality after a week’s vacation, I’m working on the last of the laundry and unpacking today. My children will have to unpack their own things, with supervision of course. Slowly, I am easing back into reality and the day to day, but its much easier when you have a plan.
Terrific advice! Things always go better because my has been insist on unloading that car first thing when we get home, even if it’s very late. There are some great ideas here I didn’t even think of! Thanks, Stephanie, I surely appreciate your blog.
Husband, not has been… Things always turn out funny when I forget to proofread.
Karen Del Tatto
We are tracking when it comes to the transition from vacation to reality as that is my routine! 🙂
This past Tuesday I entered back into reality and although I was not able to prep my house like I usually do since my daughter, son-in-law and precious granddaughter live here as well, I do indeed unpack almost immediately and start the laundry. I like the idea of having a grocery delivery set upon return. I hit the ground running this last time with writing a grocery list, shopping and doing the bills.
Great suggestions! Thanks for sharing.
Great article! I have a hard time reentering real life! Stopping by from Country Fair Blog Party!