Posts on Happily Homegrown contain affiliate links. When you make a purchase through an affiliate link, your price will be the same, but Happily Homegrown will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!
Day 6: Declutter the Coat Closet
The coat closet. Whether its right in your entrance way, mud room, or even in your bedroom, we all have that one closet where we keep our coats, boots, umbrellas, and other randomness. As a family of 5, our coat closet includes snowsuits, coats for multiple seasons, winter gear, umbrellas, shopping bags, shoes, boots, a snow brush, and even our beach toys! Everything ends up in our coat closet! Add to that lightweight hangers that bend and break under the weight of the coats, and our closet is a bit of a mess.
The first thing I did in preparation for decluttering the coat closet was buy good hangers. I like these wooden hangers from Amazon, and at $24.99 for 30 hangers, they are a great price! Most wooden hangers come out to $2 or more a piece.
Plan of Attack
- Anything that is off season, including the beach toys, goes into storage in the basement
- Anything on a wire hanger will be rehung on a good hanger
- All broken hangers will be thrown away
- Any items that no longer fit will go in the donation bin
- Make sure all shoes, boots, and gloves have a match
- Check to see that the umbrellas work and aren’t broken or torn
- If it doesn’t belong in the coat closet, put it away where it belongs
While my coat closet is a bit of a catch all, I’m fairly certain that I can get it organized in 10 minutes or less. However, with children that get upset when they see me getting rid of their things, I’m going to wait until they are in bed to tackle the closet. If they see their hoodie or rain coat from last year, they’ll insist on wearing it and try to convince me to not get rid of it even though it doesn’t fit anymore. I’d rather take care of this while they aren’t around to “help”.
What’s the state of your coat closet? Is this a quick assignment for you or one that is going to take a while to get through?