I love back-to-school sales! Yes, I’m the crazy parent that starts shopping for back-to-school in June while most are still taking finals. It just fits my mantra – “Never pay full price.”
Right now, the back-to-school sales are in full force, and I’m loving the deals! The goal is to stock up during the back-to-school sales to have enough supplies for the entire year. Not only do you need supplies for at school, but also for at home. No matter what grade your student is in, there are bound to be projects and assignments completed at home through out the year, so you might as well be prepared.
If you’re a teacher its even more important for you to shop now! Teachers spend so much of their own money on their classrooms to make sure their students have everything they need through out the year. You need to stretch the funds you have as far as possible!
So where to begin …
I start with a list of the supplies that we need, and my stock up price on these items. Since I’ve been shopping for school supplies for well over a decade, I feel confident in knowing what’s a good price, and when I should wait for a sale.
Student School Supplies – Best Prices
- pencils – 1¢ for a 12 pack during the penny sales or $1/12 pack any other time
- erasers – 1¢ for a 3 pack during the penny sales or $1/3 pack
- pens – Stick with name brand ball point pens. Bic & Papermate are my two go to brands. You can often score free pens with coupons. Stock up price – 50¢/bag.
- highlighters – 50¢/3pack
- crayons – 25¢ for a 24ct box of Crayola Crayons
- colored pencils – less than $1 for a box of 12
- markers – less than $1 for a box of 12
- regular & double-stick tape – $1 per roll
- glue sticks – 1¢ for a 3 pack of glue sticks during the penny sales or $1/3 pack regular sale
- glue – 50¢ per bottle of Elmers glue, 25¢ for store brand
- folders – 1¢ each during the penny sales, or a 10 pack of 2-pocket folders for $2.50
- notebooks – less than 25¢ for 1-subject notebooks
- composition books – 50¢ each
- loose leaf paper – less than $1 a pack
- binders – This one gets tricky depending on the size of the binder. You can usually find a 1 1/2 inch binder for under $3
- dividers – $1 a pack
- index cards – 50¢ per pack
- post its – $1 a pad
- scissors – You can get really good Westcott or Fiskars scissors for $1.50 a pair or less during the back-to-school sales
- ruler – 25¢ each
- single hole punch – $1 each
- hand held pencil sharpener – 1¢ each during the penny sales or 25¢ each the rest of the time
This Week’s Back-To-School Deals
OfficeMax is having a penny sale this week. You can get 3 of each penny deal, except where noted, with an additional $5 purchase.
This week’s penny deals include:
Scholastic 24ct Crayons
hand held pencil sharpeners
ball point pens
2-pocket folders (limit 10)
Other really good deals:
12pk Sharpies – $3
4pk Expo Markers – $1
Crayola Colored Pencils – $1
Index Cards – 50¢
1-subjet Notbooks – 50¢
This week Target is offering a $5 gift card with $30 school supply purchase (text SCHOOL5 to 827438) or a $10 gift card with $50 school supply purchase (text SCHOOL10 to 827438).
This week, Staples has some great deals to share. Most are marked that they are this price all season, so if you find yourself needing more you can always stop back in and know there are still deals available.
1-subject notebooks – 17¢
24ct Crayola Crayons – 50¢
loose leaf paper – 75¢
Crayola Markers – 50¢
Crayola Colored Pencils – 50¢
Check back weekly for the best deals for back-to-school!