Posts on Happily Homegrown contain affiliate links. When you make a purchase through an affiliate link, your price will be the same, but Happily Homegrown will receive a small commission. Thank you for your support!
For many, coffee is the nectar of the Gods. It is what they wake up for in the morning, and don’t even attempt to talk to them until they have finished the first cup. My husband is one of these people. I love him, but he can not even attempt to function until he has finished his first cup of coffee. Me on the other hand, I can’t stand the stuff! Love the smell, hate the taste.
I do use coffee a lot when I bake, especially if I’m making anything that includes chocolate. Coffee makes chocolate taste richer, more decadent, and more like itself. When you mix coffee into your chocolate desserts you get just a mild hint of coffee flavor, but the chocolate really sings!
This sinfully rich chocolate cake can be made into a layer cake for birthdays, but with how rich it is, we prefer to make a bundt cake without frosting and only a chocolate glaze drizzled across the top. The addition of strong black coffee to both the cake batter and the glaze intensify the richness of the chocolate and leave just a light perfume of coffee behind.
- 2 c sugar
- 1 1/34 c all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c milk
- 1/2 c canola/vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 c hot coffee (yes, it must be hot)
- Preheat your oven to 350. Grease and dust a bundt pan with cocoa powder.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in hot coffee. Your cake batter will be thin.
- Pour cake batter into your prepared pan, and bake for 35-40 min, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes in the pan, before removing to cool on a rack.
- Cool completely before topping with Chocolate Glaze.
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- pinch sale
- 3-4 Tbsp hot coffee
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cake.